Saturday, August 21, 2010

All About Me (the abridged version)



The Thornton Crew - Christmas 2009

Hello, my name is Denise Thornton and I am addicted to brownies. And coffee. And cotton candy. If any of those three things are around me I will consume them until they are gone.

I am a native Oregonian that had the opportunity to live in Phoenix for three or so years where I received an BA degree of Sociology and met my husband, Tracy. We unfortunately parted and went our separate ways only to reunite thirteen years later to get married. We now have three wonderful children: Ryan (7), Chase (4), and Karis (2).

After I graduated from Arizona State I soon learned that you don't earn much with a Sociology degree out in the corporate world, so I earned my MBA from Portland State in 1998. I then worked in marketing as a project/product manager for seven years. Following this I worked in the family business as the Business Manager, and later as President when my parents finally decided they'd had enough fun and would retire.

I have not always wanted to be a teacher. There was a time in my life when I wanted to be an Executive Vice President (yes, for some reason that was the exact title I was shooting for...) and rule the world. Then I realized that I like having a life outside of work and started to reflect on what was really important to me. Junior high was a difficult time in my life so helping children navigate through those two or three years more effectively would be very rewarding to me. Math and Science are my favorite subjects. I mean, who doesn't love Math and Science, right? I am also getting my endorsement for Business. This will make it possible for me to teach Business and Math at a high school level as well.

I like camping, fishing, watching my children laugh, movies, reading, baking, paper crafts, amusement park rides with no lines, shopping, music, singing, and driving our '68 Camaro. I also firmly believe that life gets better as you get older so if you ever think the best years of your life are somewhere in your past you are so, so wrong.




1 comment:

  1. Yes, brownies and coffee. And YES, math and science (a favorite for everyone, right?) Now that you've experienced the business world, welcome back to the world of helping prepare todays youth for their future.

    ReplyDelete